NU-CABLE High Tension Barrier System
The NU-CABLE High Tension Cable Barrier System offers a unique combination of TL-3 and TL-4 crash-test proven protection and visual appeal in both median and right-side guide rail applications. Plus the added bonus of a 50 to 75% cost saving versus traditional W-beam and concrete barriers, and up to 20% savings over other high-tension cable systems.
System features include:
- Deflection ranges of 5.25’ to 9.81’. Deflection can be varied to meet road/terrain requirements.
- Available in both 3-cable (TL-) and 4-cable (TL-4) designs.
- Easy to maintain and repair – lower installation costs are augmented by continuing savings.
- Utilizes strong (up to 100 KSI yield strength) yet economical 4-lb. or 5-lb. Nucor Marion Steel RIB-BAK U-channel breakaway steel posts, galvanized for long life.
- Posts can be driven in soil, installed in direct-driven steel socketed foundations, or installed in concrete socket foundations.
- Cables and posts attached with unique locking hook bolts that absorb energy during crashes.
- Utilizes cost-effective standard ¾” steel cables, tensioned up to 5,600 lbs. (25KN). Cables are tensioned on site and tension can be customized by installers to meet site needs.
- NCHRP 350-approved system that tested superior in deflection tests to competitive cable system that uses plastic inserts instead of hook bolts.
- Anchored at both ends into FHWA approved Cable Release Posts.
- Visually appealing see-through system allows for better driver visibility and snow pass through.
- 50 to 75% cost saving versus traditional W-beam and concrete barriers.
- Can be repaired after being hit in as quickly as 30 minutes.
- Post Spacing: 6.6′ to 20′.
|NU-CABLE TL-3||NU-CABLE TL-4|
|RIB-BAK U-Channel||4 or 5 lb./ft. Nucor Grade SP-80||4 lb./ft. Nucor Grade SP-80|
|Top Cable Height||29 1/2”||41”|
|Number of Cables||3 or 4||4|
|NCHRP 350 Tested||TL-3 Compliant||TL-4 Compliant|
|Foundation Type||Direct Drive, Concrete Socketed or Direct Drive Steel Socket||Concrete Socketed or Direct Drive Steel Socket|
|Slopes||Up to 6:1||4:1|